Tuesday 8 February 2011

There's Something About Christoff ....

Love him or loathe him, there’s no escaping him.  For me, there’s something oh so likeable about Chris Evans that deserves a blog all to itself!

I remember with a fond smile and slight cringe my first meeting with Mr Evans, or to give him his affectionate handle, CLP.   As he made his entrance into the phone room at Radio 2 during the Children In Need 2009 Music Marathon I was taken aback by how tall he is.  And slender.  And not as ginger as one would expect.  I then proceeded to totally embarrass myself, as he addressed me “Hello Deevs” I replied “Oh f**k, you know who I am!”

A lovely easy-going fella with time for his fans and a naturally approachable aura, Chris shares his life with his fans via his Radio 2 blog – the ultimate ‘share’ moment had to be when his blog was merely a photograph of his newly-pregnant wife’s scan photo.  No words needed to accompany the image – Chris and Tash were entering into the realms of parentalism!

After his “wilderness years” his return to prime time radio with the Drivetime Show proved that Evo still had it.  Doubters were won over, new fans increased the RAJAR figures and Chris accompanied the nation on their drive home.  There were times I actually drove slower, or took the longer route, purely to hear more of Drivetime.



Now we have Mr Lambie Pies for breakfast:  his upbeat, easy-going yet lively manner making him the perfect start to the day. I defy you to listen to an entire show and not have anything positive to say about it …. go on, I dare you …!

His love of life shines over the airwaves – I’m sure many of us would just love to go out for a pint with Chris.  He’s that kind of guy.

Ever the professional, I shall never forget his Tweets on the night one of the original bloggers, Jane, left us for the Great Shoe Shop In The Sky.  He wanted details.  He wanted to know what WE, Jane’s friends  wanted HIM to do on HIS show the following morning.    And yes, he did us, and Jane, very proud with a dedication for our lovely friend and some words so beautifully composed he had the entire blog population blubbing onto their toast. 

And now we have extra Christophe Lambie Pies portions via The ONE Show.  For a show which was in danger of sinking, he gives the lead into the weekend a kick up the arse and then some:  you can see the nervousness on the face of his co-presenter, not quite knowing where the sometimes manic Evo is going next.

Yes, there’s been ups and downs, but Chris, if you ever read this – thank you for the music, for being there and for sharing.

And I promise not to cuss when next we meet!

Deevs

X




9 comments:

  1. Nice one Deevs. T

    ReplyDelete
  2. I missed his tribute to Jane but when I saw the comments on the blog as soon as I got home I listened.

    Having chatted to CLP live on air (nearly two years to the day actually lol) there is something about his nature - he makes you feel like he's talking to you and no one else. Then again I shout back at the radio on my way to work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said Deevs, love it.

    Gail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right Cheryl. I remember at the Radio 2 music marathon asking CLP if he'd sign a card for Hazel Love, who was too poorly to be there with us. I'd hoped for a signature but instead he wrote a lovely, warm and funny dedication for her which thrilled all of us.

    CLP - you are a star!

    jillygoat x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, he's a good 'un alright. I'm glad he made it out of "the dark place" and just LOVE the breakfast show - definitely worth waking up for!

    Glad to finally learn what CLP stand for, hehehe xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lovely tribute to a lovely guy! It frequently blows my mind how people like Chris and "my" Mr M know their followers and interact with them on a regular basis. I've never had that before with any other celebrity (and I've followed a few!). Take Richard Hammond - I've met him 3 times, and he still doesn't have a scooby about who I am, let alone anything about me. But when I met Simon at CiN last year, he knew exactly who I was (which was a bit scary, if I'm honest), and when I met him again the following week he remembered me! Wow!! And he's mentioned me a couple of times on his blog, and even referred to me on air as "one of our regular bloggers". And I know that Chris has the same relationship with his bloggers. Makes us feel rather special!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're doing a good job doing a blog instead of Chris. Captain Stella

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice post Deevs
    :-)

    debs
    X

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been a fan of Chris since his TFI Friday days!! I know he went through a bad patch but I never doubted him on his return to radio, and I tuned in for his first Drivetime show and was there until his last. Sadly I don't really get much of a chance to listen to the Breakfast show these days :( but I tune in when I can. I always thought that Breakfast was Chris's natural home though, and sad as I was that he was leaving Drivetime, I had long predicted that he would take over Breakfast when Sir Tel was ready to move on. I championed his return to radio on many forums at the time, and it gives me a certain smug satisfaction to be proved right. So glad to see Chris finally settled, with a lovely wife and son too.

    ReplyDelete