Monday 7 February 2011

Dear Nan ....

Dear Nan

As you turn 89 today, I can only imagine what you have seen and experienced during your 88 years on this planet of ours. 

How did you cope before the invention of television, mobile phones, package holidays and Tupperware?  The halcyon days of unlocked back doors, and the kids playing out in the street as one big happy community – not reliant on electronic gadgetry, batteries, chargers or 24/7 cartoon networks! 

Did you ever, in your wildest dreams, think that man would walk on the Moon and everyday normal people would be able to experience supersonic air travel? 

You’re on your 4th Monarch, and have lived through 23 British Prime Ministers. 

You fought for your country during WW2 – even with my wild imagination I can’t see you armed with an Ack Ack gun, defending the South Coast, but I know that you did as you have given me your war medals, something I will forever cherish. 

You enjoyed a long and happy marriage to granddad, and mothered 3 children.  You have 4 grand-children and one great-grandchild.  You worked and kept house, looking after your brood, always there for your girls until one by one they fled the nest to make homes of their own. 

Throughout my childhood you entertained me, introduced me to the delights of Jimmy Young and Terry Wogan and sometimes you took me to work too!  You even taught me how to make pastry (although your gravy was never as good as the legendary “granddad gravy”)!

You’re not as agile as you once were, and your hearing needs a bit of help these days but to me, you’ll always be My Nan, a role-model, matriarch and all-round lovely lady.

Happy Birthday Nan!


3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to Deevski's Nan! My Great Grandma would be 97 on her next birthday if she was still with us.

    My Grandma makes the best roast spuds but Chris doesn't believe me lol. She now cheats because it's easier following her stroke but before her stroke she made the best spuds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GOOD BLOG Deevs nice reading

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to your Nan, she sounds fab!!

    ReplyDelete